Other sporting opportunities
There are often opportunities throughout the year for pupils to take part in other sporting activities. For example
- We have in the past taken part in hockey tournaments and our Quicksticks hockey team even reached the County finals in 2019.
- We took part in a County Racket Pack Festival March 2020 which was a non-competitive event which involved various racket-challenges and was great fun. Our team showed good skills and had the best score at the Keepy-uppy station.
- Year 4 normally take part in the Epsom & Ewell Dance Festival held at the Epsom Playhouse each June. Lauren Johnson, who runs the after-school Hip-Hop Club, has in the past been our dance teacher for this event. We welcome all abilities but we do hold auditions where they will be taken through a simple routine to assess their rhythm, coordination, focus etc. and 12 dancers are selected to take part. Rehearsals take over lunchtimes leading up to the event.
- A Sports Crew of around ten children are nominated and given special training to give them the skills to organise inclusive games at playtime, mainly to encourage the less active and shy or reluctant children to get involved.
- We celebrate Sports Relief Day each March, usually with a fun-run involving an obstacle course and parents are invited to come along to cheer the children on.
- Swimming galas are sometimes on offer in Spring.
- The summer term involves lots of cricket, tennis, and rounders, as well as the ever-popular District Sports.
- The year wouldn't be complete without our own Sports Day where the ‘houses’ compete in mixed teams to earn as many points as possible through some unconventional activities plus competitive races for those children wishing to participate.
- Ad-hoc competitions are regularly being organised by Active Surrey, which we endeavour to attend as often as possible.