Welcome to Year 4
The class teachers are:-
Mrs S Kidwai
Class Teacher and Faith & Philosophy Lead
Mrs C Curran
Class Teacher and Art, Design and Technology lead
Mrs K Elliot
SENDCO, Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead, SLT and Maths group teacher
The support staff include:-
Mrs D Bruen
Higher Level Teaching Support, ELSA, Deputy Safeguarding Lead & Librarian
Mrs W Baxter
Mrs T McGahan
Teaching Support and SENDCO Assistant
Miss S Sonnex
Year 4 held a welcome meeting on Thursday 8th September 3.30-4.30pm. Please find below the presentation and handouts.
Year 4 Welcome meeting
Topics and Curriculum
You will find the weekly timetable in your child’s diary. Year 4 covers some exciting topics such as:-
- History: Anglo Saxons and Vikings.
- Geography: Weather, mapping and developing world
- Science: Forces, changing materials, the Earth and beyond, mini-beasts
- Art: 3D modelling, silhouettes, Impressionism, observational drawing, clay masks.
- Design & Technology: Money containers, muffins, levers, linkages and pop-ups.
- Personal, Social & Health Education: the Media and bullying
- Sex & Relationship Education: changes to body and personal hygiene
- Faith & Philosophy: Christianity, Judaism and Sikhism
- Computing: Coding, research and word processing.
- PE & Games includes: football, netball, rugby, hockey, tennis, rounders, cricket, athletics, dance, gymnastics and fitness.
For more specific information on what the Year 4 pupils will be studying we produce curriculum maps. We will be uploading this terms map shortly but in the meantime click here to see last years.
Year 4 Curriculum maps
If you wish to find out more about the National Curriculum then you can https://www.gov.uk/education/primary-curriculum-key-stage-2.
In Year 4, children will receive two pieces of homework per week. Spelling homework will be given on Tuesday and maths homework on Wednesday; it will be 30 minutes of Times Table Rockstars and/or Mathletics and 30 minutes of Spelling Shed.
Children whose writing fluency and cursive (joined up writing) is not at standard will be given handwriting practice.
In the Summer term, children will be getting 10 minutes of Spag Mat inside their English homework to prepare them for Year 5. This is to be completed by Monday.
One Friday per half term additional homework will be given which will be topic or foundation based, and will need to be handed in on a date later in the term. If homework is not completed on time, pupils will go to the Catch-up Zone and will be asked to do the homework at home. Year 4 do not have a Homework Diary.
We ask children to read at least three times per week. Please spend some time listening to your child read aloud, as well as allowing them time to read alone. Please record in their reading record and this must be handed in every Monday.
We ask you to avoid reading the books we study in class at home which are:-
“Gangsta Granny” by David Walliams
“Leon and the Place Between” by Angela McAllister
"The Boy at the Back of the Class" by Onjali Rau
For more information on our lEnglish policy, go to the English link on our website.
Please try to encourage your child to use Mathletics and times tables practice at home – there are lots of activities to complete on Mathletics to aid with Multiplication tables practice. For more information about how we teach maths go to the Maths link.
Visits and trips
To help broaden the children’s learning, enjoyment and understanding of their topics, we offer a range of visits and trips. In Year 4 we have the following exciting visits and trips:
- In Year 4 they take part in their first residential trip is to Ufton Court for three days in May. Residential trips are a great way for your child to develop independence, build team skills and improve their organisational skills. We have highly experienced staff that have been running and attending the same residential trips over many years. See the photo gallery below for the trip in 2020.
- Crew Theatre's team of actors come in to hold an exciting workshop on Forces, which the children study in Science
- The children will be able to experience the wonder of the universe within an inflated dome in the school hall when the Learning Dome mobile planetarium visits Year 4.
- As part of our study of mini-beasts, Year 4 will be visiting local education sites for pond life and habitats.
- More information about all these trips and visits and any costs will be sent out nearer the time.
In Year 4 we encourage the children to aim high and get involved! There is lots to do so the children are encouraged to get involved as well as developing their independence and resilience.
Any questions or concerns
Your teacher should be your first point of contact and can be contacted via the School Office Office1@wallacefields-jun.surrey.sch.uk. If it is an urgent matter, please call the School Office on 0208 393 0350.