Geography at Wallace Fields Junior School
Throughout human history, most societies have sought to understand something about their place in the world, and the people and environments around them.
At Wallace Fields Junior School, our aim is for geography to inspire pupils curiosity and fascination about the world around them and its diversity.
We develop the children’s knowledge, understanding and skills of geography by:
- Embracing the children’s curiosity by encouraging them to generate questions which they can reflect on throughout the topic.
- Helping the children develop their own sense of perspective of the world around them.
- Enhancing the children’s understanding of how the world has grown and changed over time, the diversity of people’s lives and the possibility for us to live sustainability for the future.
- Developing the children’s location knowledge of continents, oceans, counties and cities.
- Learning about the Earth’s key physical and human characteristics.
- Focusing on the progression of geographical skills and providing the children with cross-curricular learning opportunities.
- Utilizing the use of technology in our lessons to create a multi-sensory learning experience.
- Providing the children with trips and visit to explore fieldwork opportunities and reinforce their learning experience.
Wherever possible, our geography curriculum is enhanced by trips and visitors as these bring the curriculum to life for our children. Fieldwork is a vital part of our geography learning.
- Year 3: Exploring the local area and our school environment.
- Year 4: A cultural awareness day of the developing world.
- Year 5: The Hogsmill River trip and Isle of Wight residential to compare settlements.
- Year 6: Visit to France.
(Please note there may be changes this year due to the current Covid regulations)
For further details on the teaching of Geography across the schoo, please view our progression map.
Geography progression map
Geography curriculum photos
To find out more about the national curriculum for Geography in Key Stage 2 that the school is following click here.