Welcome to Year 3
The class teachers are:-
Topics and Curriculum
You will find the weekly timetable in your child’s diary. Year 3 covers some exciting topics such as:-
- History: Stone Age, Bronze Age, Iron Age and Romans
- Geography: View from my window and mapping skills
- Science: Ourselves, electricity, light, sound, plants.
- Art: Sketching, pastels, colour mixing, printing, 3D perspective art and mosaics
- Design & Technology: Making a container, a nightlight and sandwiches
- PSHE topics: Living with a disability, parts of the body, sun safety and road safety.
- RE: Christmas, Easter, Who is Jesus? Faith in the Arts, Judaism, baptism, parts of the Bible.
- Computing: How a network works, programming, presenting, E-safety, sending emails, touch typing.
- PE & Games includes: football, netball, cricket, rounders, hockey, athletics, tag rugby, dance, tennis, and gymnastics.
For more specific information on what the Year 3 pupils will be studying this term see below.
Year 3 Curriculum map
Children will normally receive one piece of homework per week and should spend 45 minutes on each piece. If homework is not completed on time pupils will go to the Work Room for 20 minutes reading, but will be asked to do the homework at home. Year 3 do not have a Homework Diary.
Reading at home
We ask children to read at least three times per week. Please record their reading record and this must be handed in every Friday. They will be asked to go to the Work Room if this is not handed in our completed.
We ask you to avoid reading at home the books we study in class which are:-
- “Whale Song” by Dyon Sheldon
- “The Iron Man” by Ted Hughes
- “Me and You” by Anthony Browne
- “Farther” by Grahame Baker-Smith
Please practice times tables at home and they will be tested in class so they can work toward their times table certificates. Please also encourage your child to take part in practical maths activities at home e.g. shopping with money, telling the time and cooking using scales.
For more information about how we teach maths go to the Maths link.
Visits and trips
- To help broaden the children’s learning, enjoyment and understanding of their topics, we offer a range of visits and trips. In Year 3 we have the following exciting visits and trips:
- To help with their mapping skills the children walk around the block.
- We receive a visitor who talk to them about coping and living with disability.
- We often have a visit from a nurse, police officer or fire officer to talk about their role in the Community
- We receive a visit from a Dental Nurse to talk to the children about keeping teeth clean and healthy and support the science topic “Ourselves”.
- A day trip to Butser Ancient Farm, Hampshire, to enhance their work in the classroom and discover more about the Iron Age.
- We will visit to Wisley to support science studies on green plants.
- Crew Theatre visit us at School to hold a theatre workshop on Roman Ramifications.
More information about all these trips and visits and any costs will be sent out nearer the time.
Your child is now at Junior School so please encourage your child to become more independent in attitude and organisation, for example: slips can be given to your child to hand into their teacher at registration.
Any questions or concerns
If you need a quick couple of minutes to speak to your child’s teacher then please pop your head around the classroom door at pick up but if you need longer than that then please make an appointment through the office or by email. Your class teacher should be your first point of contact and can be contacted with their professional email Miss Anderson at LAnderson@wallacefields-jun.surrey.sch.uk and Miss Marriage at SMarriage@wallacefields-jun.surrey.sch.uk If it is an urgent matter, please speak to someone in the office and they will be able to help you.