Welcome to Music at Wallace Fields
All of the children learn Music throughout the school, in weekly one-hour lessons, which are taught by our Music teacher, Mrs Mihaylova.
The Music Curriculum
The National Curriculum for Music for Key Stage 2 require pupils to develop skills and understanding of the following:
- play and perform in solo and ensemble contexts, using their voices and playing musical instruments with increasing accuracy, fluency, control and expression
- improvise and compose music for a range of purposes using the inter-related dimensions of music
- listen with attention to detail and recall sounds with increasing aural memory
- use and understand staff and other musical notations
- appreciate and understand a wide range of high-quality live and recorded music drawn from different traditions and from great composers and musicians
- develop an understanding of the history of music.
Throughout the four years, these skills are embedded into a range of units of work which all include listening, appraising, composing and performing. Please see your child’s year group curriculum map for more details.
We have four music clubs on offer at Wallace Fields Junior School.
- School Choir – The School Choir is open to pupils from all year groups and meets every Tuesday lunchtime in the Music Room. Throughout the year we perform at a range of internal and external events, sharing our singing with different audiences.
- Chamber Choir – open to pupils in years 5 and 6, the Chamber Choir rehearse on a Wednesday lunchtime and prepare for performances at the Epsom and Ewell Schools’ Music Festival.
- Key Notes – a fee paying club on a Tuesday after school where children have the opportunity to learn how to play the keyboard in a group setting.
- Theatre Arts – focussing on drama and singing skills, this fee-paying club runs on a Friday after school with Mrs Kennedy and works to performances approximately every term.
We have a busy schedule of musical events that happen throughout the year. These include:
- Christmas Carol Service – one of the highlights of our school calendar, our Carol Service takes place at Epsom College Chapel each year. Every child in the school takes part in singing and acting, and of course there is always a chance for the audience to join in with some festive carols!
- Christmas Carol Singing – our School Choir visit local shopping centres to sing a range of Christmas songs to raise money for local and national charities.
- Music Assemblies – children from each year group who have individual lessons on a musical instrument are invited to perform in front of the school and their parents in termly performance assemblies.
- Epsom and Ewell Schools’ Music Festival – our school Chamber Choir participates in this annual singing Festival at the Epsom Playhouse.
- School Production – led by our year 6s, all school pupils have the opportunity to join the chorus for our annual school show, which takes place in the summer term.
- Workshops, Visitors and Trips – in addition to these, we have a range of opportunities for the children to experience live music, including performances from visitors in school and trips to see performances.