Our main focus for writing this year is to improve knowledge and use of a wider range of high-quality vocabulary in writing.
In order to achieve this the school will be:
- Introducing children to new vocabulary through word activities and reading good quality texts. Each child has their own WORD COLLECTOR book to record any words they find.
How can parents help?
- Encourage your child to read widely – See the reading link.
- Share new words found in books, notices, adverts etc and help to explain what they mean.
- Find synonyms for a new word and practise putting the word in a sentence.
- Download the Spelling Shed app or go to the Spelling shed website.. Click on https://play.edshed.com/login Or download App. The Spelling Shed helps children to practice spelling via simple games.
- Print off the spelling lists below and practice spelling these key words.
- Encourage your child to enter the annual Radio Two 500 word story writing competition when it opens in the Spring.
The spelling lists are the year 3 & 4 and 5 & 6 spelling words that children need to know but grouped into spelling rules.